The church, a remarkable building of 1463 in Latincross style, suffered a lot during the
wars, and the restorations of 1586 and 1688 changed its original appearance.
The church lost its nave a few centuries ago but the choir and the transept are still
there. The church tower and the gate were destroyed. The whole building is made of cut
chalk and the base is of sandstone and flint. A few capital structures remind us of the
magnificence of this building which was built by the Lords of Montcavrel and enriched by
Marguerite de Bourbon, who was Jean de Monchy's wife and who donated the bell on which
is written :
" MARGVERITE DE BOVRBON, EPOUSE DE
JEHAN DE MONCHY, CHEVALIER, SEIGNEUR
DE MONTCAVREL, M'A DONNE POR NOM
MARGVERITE" - 1627
It means : "Marguerite de Bourbon, wife of Jehan de Monchy, knight and Lord of
Montcavrel, gave me the name Marguerite".
This princess was burried under the choir, in a lead coffin which was desecrated at the
same time as the other family graves by the 1793 patriots.
In the Xth century, at the top of a hill that dominates a valley watered by a small
river, rose a fortified castle built after the Barbarian invasions. This hill had various names
meaning "Mount of the Goats" or "Mount of the roe deer" (now, "Montcavrel"), because
of the goat shepherds who used to lead their herds there at the time, or because of the
numerous roe deer in the region.
The chateau of Montcavrel, which is in fact in Alette, consists of two different parts :
the farmyard and the chateau. Entry was via a drawbridge under a tower. Almost all the old
buildings disappeared during the XIXth and XXth centuries. There was a keep near the
wall and a chapel dedicated to St Michael. The farmyard was surrounded by buildings,
some of them dating back to the XVIth century ; a stable dated back to 1611, two others
were constructed during the XVIIIth century. These buildings were destroyed by the
owner who needed the timber. The pigeon loft in the centre of the farmyard is still there. It
is circular and is decorated with the Mailly'shield and a sundial on which is written the year
A small chateau built in Montcavrel in 1845 has the name of a fief that belonged to the
Montcavrel and Monchy families before the XVth century : the chateau of Herambault.
But the lords of Montcavrel had to meet the costs of men at arms, especially during
wartime. For this reason, during the XVth century, Jean III de Monchy, who was the King's
butler, gave the fief to Lord Guilbert Dubois, a doctor in Montreuil, in return for services
The Dubois family kept the property at Herambault until 1528 and transferred it to the
Sergeant family, the Longavesne family in 1696 and the Roubier family in 1722 who owned it
until 1864 when Roubier d'Herambault died. He was a deputy and had the chateau built in
1845, as it is printed on a stone of the main façade. Then, the Lereuil family from Hesdin
bought the land of Herambault which was finally owned by the De Contes family.
It seems that Montechor is an area whose origins date back to the Roman occupation.
The name comes from "Monsquercuum", which means "Hill of the Oaks". Montechor was a
fief that belonged to the old fortress of the castle of Montcavrel until the XVth century.
Between 1637 and 1641, it was the target of many Spanish, German and Burgundian
attacks. Bertrand de Monchy always managed to repel them.
During the XVIIIth century, the farm of Montechor, occupied by the Chocart family, was
bought in 1739 by Louis Sta, solicitor in Desvres and tax collector for the Montcavrel
Marquisate. In 1758, Louis Sta became vice-mayor of Montreuil and became the "Sieur de
In 1787, Anne Elisabeth Claudine Sta, Louis Sta's daughter, married Charles Poultier who
became "Poultier de Montechor". He built a castle next to the farm of Montechor and laid out
a beautiful park where cedars and other exotic coniferous trees are planted. Then, the
property was passed to the heirs, among them Mme Broutier, née Poultier.
In 1936, the castle was given to the congregation of the Assumption Fathers who made a
seminary for late vocations until 1956, when the chateau was given back to the Broutier
family. So, one could say that since 1736, the castle has been owned by the same family.