For the first time we find a Lord of Montcavrel in a
text of 1071. Foulques seems to be the head of the
Montcavrel family. After him comes Enguerran I, one
of the great Lords of the Court of Boulogne. The
Montcavrel family finally disappeared on the battlefield
of Agincourt (October 25, 1415) with the two brothers
Jean and Rasse de Montcavrel.
Through marriage, the seigniory was attributed to Aymon de Monchy who restored
the château after it was devastated by the English. He also led the construction of the
church of Emy, that later became the village of Montcavrel.
Later, Antoine de Monchy (1569-1587) repaired the damage caused to the
château and removed the fortifications that were no longer necessary. The Monchy were
rich and powerful lords, but successive wars caused their ruin. Between 1561 and 1566,
their seignory was confiscated. Jean-Baptiste de Monchy, who died in 1690, finally
sold his marquisate to his brother-in-law Louis-Charles de Mailly.
Coat of arms
The Mailly didn't live in Montcavrel as they belonged to the
nobility at court. However, Louis III de Mailly (1708-1764)
welcomed in his feudal residence the Tsar Pierre Le Grand during
his stay in France. Later, Louis III's debts increased and he finally lost
his fortune. His two last successors, Louis IV de Mailly (1764-
1767) and Louis-Joseph-Auguste de Mailly (1767-1810) made a
After her marriage to Prince Pie-Auguste de Bavière, Louis-Joseph de Mailly's
granddaughter (Louis-Joseph de Mailly had been Lord of Montcavrel) bore the Duke
Maximilien-Joseph de Bavière (December 4, 1808). On September 9, 1829, he
married Louise Wilhelmine, the royal princess of Bavaria. They had eight children, one
of them was the Duchess Elisabeth (born on December 24, 1837). She became
Empress of Austria and was know as "Sissi".
In the meantime, during the French Revolution, the castle was looted, the coats of
arms and archives were destroyed. On April 10, 1795, the castle was sold to Antoine
Bourdrelle, the former farmer'son to the castle. In 1813, a few walls were destroyed.
With the materials, a new central building was constructed in 1842.
For eighteen years, Montcavrel had been one of the National Sheepfolds created by
king Louis-Philippe. Between 1862 and 1931, it was owned by the Minet family. Sold
many times, it was badly treated by some of its Owners. But today, the château is being
in a few lines...
few alterations to the château.
of the MAILLYs